Idaho passed a law in 1988 that can help you get protection from further abuse. This is the Domestic Violence Crime Prevention Act (Idaho Code 39- 6302).

The law protects spouses, former spouses, persons related by blood or marriage, persons who live or have lived together, persons who have had a child in common, whether they have been married or have ever lived together and minors in dating relationships. A protection order is a court order for a person to stop hurting you.


Deliver copies to your employer, your child’s daycare and everyone else who needs to know about this order. Keep a certified copy to show to the law enforcement officer if you need help.

What Can a Protection Order Do?

  • Stop the person from hurting you and/or your children
  • Stop the person who has been hurting you from entering your home, school or where you work
  • Require the person who hurt you to get help with counseling
  • Require the abuser to leave the household
  • Keep the children in your care

If the person who hurt you is arrested, they may be issued a No Contact Order when released.

How Do I get One?

This protection order may be obtained WITHOUT a lawyer. Applications, called “petitions”, are available from the clerk of the district court in the county where you live. Tell the clerk you need protection from domestic violence. This is FREE.

  • Go to your county courthouse or your local shelter
  • Ask the clerk or shelter program for a protection order
  • They will give you a form to fill out called a ‘petition’

The “petition” is a legal document. It is important that you understand that you are under oath and have to tell the truth when filling it out.

How Do I Fill Out the Form?

Don’t let the form scare you. A lot of information is required by the law to seek protection. Just answer the questions as completely as you can in your own words. If you need help in filling out the forms, contact Idaho 24-Hour Hotline 1-800-669-3176

The person who fills out the form, usually you the victim – is called the petitioner. The person the victim needs protection from is the respondent. The petition can be filed in the county you live in, where you are temporarily living, or where the respondent is living.

The most important part is to explain in your own words why you are afraid of being hurt. Explain how you were hurt. BE SPECIFIC about violent acts or threats. Include dates, places, injuries, if children have been present, if a weapon was used – write down what kind, and give information about any prior police reports made on the person hurting you. Write everything you can-about this abuse. THIS IS IMPORTANT. The judge will use what you write to decide if you need help or not. If you feel you are in danger, put this down. The form is in English. Ask for help if you need it.

After you are done, give the completed form to the clerk.

  • Answer each question as completely as you can
  • Petitioner means the person who was hurt
  • Respondent means the person who caused the hurt
  • Write about how when and where you were hurt
  • Give the completed form to the clerk

What Happens Next?

The clerk will give the form to the judge in person or by telephone. After you see the judge and a temporary order is issued, you need to return to the court clerk’s office to get your copy. The judge may issue you a temporary protection order at that time, and will set a hearing date within 14 days to decide whether to issue a full 90 day “Protection Order”; YOU MUST COME TO THIS HEARING. Follow through! The clerk will tell you when and where the hearing is.

If the judge signs a temporary protection order or sets a date for a protection order hearing, law enforcement will serve a copy to the person who abused you. You need to provide thorough information about the person’s possible location so he/she can be served with the protection order.

It is very important that you read the entire protection order. You may be ordered into an orientation class or you may find an error which must be pointed out to the clerk immediately.

  • The judge will decide if you need protection
  • The judge may give you up to 14 days of safety (the temporary protection order) without a hearing
  • If the protection order is issued get your copy from the court clerk
  • A court date will he set to decide if a longer time of protection will be given
  • Go to your protection order hearing. This is for the 90 day protection order

If you are granted a protection order, it is usually for 90 days and can be renewed for 1 year periods if you need more protection. If you do need to have it renewed remember to do this before it expires. You can apply for a change in this order at any time.


Violation of a Protection Order is Serious! A violation of any provision of a protection order is punishable by up to 1 year in jail and a fine up to $5,000.

Once a judge has issued a protection order to you, and the respondent (person you need protection from) is served with notice of the protection order, it is then against the law to violate any part of the protection order. Call your law enforcement # and report the violation. Gather any information you can to assist the officer. The majority of respondents take this protection order seriously, but some do violate this court order. It is important to notify the authorities and to keep yourself as safe as possible. Do not have false hopes that the protection order will be all you need to be safe, especially if violent violations occur. You also must obey the protection order.

  • Call and report the protection order violation
  • If there are witnesses, get their names and ask them to stay until law enforcement arrives
  • Remember that for some respondents, the protection order is only a piece of paper. Your safety comes first. Do not depend upon the protection order as your only source of safety.

Victim’s Compensation

You may be eligible for victim’s compensation. Call 1 (800) 950-2110 for further information. This fund can directly reimburse victims of crime for related medical and counseling expenses riot covered by other resources.

Learn more about Compensation >>

Child Support

If you need child support call your local Department of Health and Welfare and ask for the child support enforcement office. You may be able to receive financial help (Idaho Code 32706)

General Domestic Violence Information

There are many resources available in Idaho for information related to domestic violence. Shelters provide food: shelter, clothing and referral service in a supportive atmosphere. Safe homes provide similar services with a volunteer family in the community. In some areas of Idaho, motels provide emergency housing and those with longer shelter needs are referred to nearby shelters.

Emergency medical help is available from your local doctor, hospital or clinic. Call your local domestic violence program for phone numbers of nearby medical service providers.

You also have the right to sue for losses suffered as a result of the abuse, including medical and moving expenses, loss of earnings or support, and other out- of-pocket expenses for injuries sustained and damage to your property. This can be done without an attorney in small claims court if the total amount claimed is under $3,000.


Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 128
Murphy, ID 83650

17082 Basey St.
Murphy, ID 83650

Monday – Friday
8:00am – 5:00pm
(closed at Noon)

Phone: 208-495-1153

Fax: 208-495-2592


Christopher Topmiller

Senior Legal Assistant

Abby DeLeon

Junior Legal Assistant

Janet DeLeon

Victim Witness Coordinator

Jennifer Maund
(208) 495-1154 ext. 158