Welcome to the U of I Owyhee County Extension Office
See the 4-H home page for a complete list of 4-H Record Book Guidelines and Project Requirements. We also encourage you to review the Youth Exhibitor, Livestock Rules and Auction sections of the Owyhee County Fair book. The Fair book is typically available in June in The Owyhee Avalanche and at several local businesses in your community.
Beginning in the 2016-17 4-H year, CCS books will no longer be used for Beef, Meat Goat, Sheep or Swine projects. We will be demonstrating one of the new “Lesson Plans” at the February 13, 2017, Leader meeting. These plans were created by the University of Idaho Animal Task Force and are used with the Resource Handbook for each species. We will have copies of the Resource Handbooks at the meeting for your review as well. It would be very beneficial for all organizational leaders and project leaders in these four areas to attend this important meeting. This would be a great time to ask questions and clarify any concerns you might have before your club members begin these projects. If you would like to review the Lesson Plans prior to the meeting, you can do so on the state 4-H website at www.uidaho.edu/extension/4h/projects under Animal Science Lesson Plans Skills Checklists. In addition, there is an Animal Science Lesson Plans Topic Tracker for Leaders for you to review what topics are available. The tracking process seems to be similar to the checklists we have been using the last several years. Hopefully this will be a smooth transition; however, as always, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Janelle or Scott at the Extension Office.
- 4H and FFA Bill of Sale. A completed and signed Bill of Sale must be turned in at weigh-in. Incomplete forms will NOT be accepted. We must have your form on file in order for you to weigh-in at Fair.
- Livestock loading map at Owyhee County Fairgrounds
- Boundary Exception Petition Form. Petitions are DUE to the Fair Board JANUARY 1.
- 2017 Market Weigh-in Schedule and Information
- 2017 4H and FFA Buyer Flier [coming soon!]. We strongly encourage you to create your own buyer letter or flier; however, if you are unable to do so, we have provided a basic one you may use.
- 2017 4H and FFA Buyer Certificate [coming soon!]
- March 4, 2017 Beef Weigh in
- March 11, 2017 Youth Beef Field Day More Information
- Opportunities to increase your livestock herd
- May 19, 2017 Goat Weigh-in
- May 19, 2017 Sheep Weigh-in
- Tail Docking Policy for Owyhee County Fair
- April 10, 2017 Swine Weigh-in
Permanent Individual Animal Record Book. All breeding projects should be conducted in a manner that is supportive and complementary to the livestock program policy. The minimum period of time for ownership (or as the primary caregiver) for beef, dairy, goat, sheep and swine breeding animals fed and exhibited at a 4-H sanctioned event will be 90 days, or as noted in the Idaho 4-H Project Requirement Handbook. If a project animal is leased by a 4-H member, a complete written and signed copy of the lease agreement must be returned to the county extension office by the required ownership date.
Beef – Breeding
- Opportunity to increase your Dairy ownership
- Treasure Valley Dairy Replacement Heifer 2017-18. Application DUE to the Canyon County Extension Office no later than February 27, 2017.
Dairy Goat – Breeding
Meat Goat – Breeding
- 2017 Horse Guidelines and Rulebook
- 2017 Horse Record Book
- 2017 Ranch Horse Book
- 2017 OCHL Donation Letter
- Horses are Fun! Project Book
- PNW 4-H Horse Project Guide
Sheep – Breeding
Swine – Breeding
Small Animal Projects
Please see the Cloverbud page for Small Animal activities for Cloverbuds, ages 5-7.
Birds & Poultry
GET IN TOUCH
P.O. Box 400
Marsing, ID 83639
238 Eighth Avenue West
Marsing, ID 83639